Starkville is a city in Mississippi, United States. It is the county seat of Oktibbeha County. The Starkville Micropolitan Statistical Location consists of all Oktibbeha County. The population was 23,888 at the 2010 census. The school of Mississippi State University is located straight to the east of Starkville.
Starkville is an anchor of the Golden Triangle region of northeast Mississippi which consists of Starkville, including Central MS Law Firm located in Columbus, and West Point.
The campus of Mississippi State University lies surrounding to the east of Starkville. As of the fall of 2011, MSU is the state of Mississippi’s biggest university with 20,424 students,  more than 4,000 graduate students, and more than 1,300 staff. The university is also the biggest company of Starkville. Students have developed a prepared audience for the Magnolia Movie Celebration. Held every February, it is the earliest movie festival in the state. Other major occasions held in Starkville and greatly supported by the MSU Student Body are the Dudy Gras Parade, Cotton District Arts Celebration, Super Bulldog Weekend, Old Main Music Celebration, Ragtime & Jazz Music Festival, and Bulldog Bash.
The Starkville location has been occupied for over 2100 years. Artifacts in the form of clay pot pieces and artwork dating from that time duration have been discovered east of Starkville at the Herman Mound and Town site, a National Historic Register site that can be accessed from the Indian Mound Campground. Soon prior to the American Revolutionary War duration, the location was occupied by the Choccuma (or Chakchiuma) tribe, who were annihilated about that time by an unusual alliance between the Choctaw and Chickasaw. The modern early settlement of the Starkville location was started after the Choctaw inhabitants of Oktibbeha County surrendered their claims to land in the area in the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek in 1830. White settlers were drawn to the Starkville location since of 2 big springs. A mill southwest of town supplied clapboards which provided the town its initial name, Boardtown. In 1835, Boardtown was developed as the county seat of Oktibbeha County and its name was changed to Starkville in honor of Revolutionary War hero General John Stark.
On March 21, 2006, Starkville became the very first city in Mississippi to adopt a smoking ban for indoor public places, including restaurants and bars. This regulation went into impact on May 20, 2006.